OSHA's standard for process safety management requires a completion of a compliance audit every three years.
An external program audit consisting of records review, facility inspection and employee observation and interviews can assist to identify potential gaps.
The audit process will cover, at a minimum, the following elements.
1) Employee Participation
2) Process Safety Information (PSI)
3) Process Hazard Analysis (PHA)
4) Operating Procedures
7) Management of Change (MOC)
8) Mechanical Integrity
9) Pre-Startup Safety Review (PSSR)
10) Hot Work Permit
11) Incident Investigation
12) Emergency Planning and Response